“Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.” —Seneca
Self-Mastery is the first step to Sith Mastery. The five exercises below can be done in parallel or in sequence to give you a basic foundation in Sith mental disciplines. After a week or two, you should begin to feel yourself being transformed internally by these simple exercises. For best results, you should record each session in your Initiate Holocron and/or a private journal.
1. Void Meditation: Zazen, or Void Meditation, is the basic mind-clearing technique of a Sith Master which will make you into an empty vessel for the Dark Energy of the universe. Read the first 13 pages of the Zazen Guide for Beginners. Perform Zazen at least once daily for a minimum of 15 minutes for two weeks. Describe your experience in your holocron.
2. Sith Stare: The Sith Stare, or Evil Eye, is a powerful tool of Sith sorcery which will help you concentrate, mentally dominate others and see into the Force essence of all things. Choose an object and fix your gaze upon it without looking away. I recommend a star or planet in the night sky, but you can use something more mundane. If your attention starts to wander or the image blurs, bring your focus back to the object. See how long you can maintain your attention. You may only be able to do this for a minute or less at first. Do this exercise for two weeks and record your progress in your holocron. Also, try the Sith Stare on a person: Choose the strongest person you can find and see if you can stare them down.
3. Self-Reprogramming: Evaluate your life and identify your mental and physical habits. Alter or eliminate one habit for a week. For example, you could stop smoking, drinking coffee or watching television, masturbate with your opposite hand or eliminate dairy products from your diet. It is better to make a small change than to try to make a larger change and fail – you should condition yourself for success, not failure. Willpower is like a muscle; the more you exercise it the stronger it will become. Repeat the process with another habit for another week. Record your results in your holocron.
4. Body Mastery: The body, like the mind, is an extension of the Sith master’s will. Begin a new exercise routine and stick to it for at least two weeks. For example, you could do the first two weeks of the program at hundredpushups.com, run, lift weights, perform martial arts or hatha yoga. Record your experience in your holocron.
5. Fear Mastery: Fear is the mind-killer. A Sith master must make fear his ally, not his enemy. Think of a person, place or thing that frightens you. Perform a Void Meditation to calm your mind. It may also be helpful to recite the Bene Gesserit “Litany Against Fear”:
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
Now face your fear head-on. For example, you could spend time in a dark forest, collect spiders, jump from a great height, meditate in a graveyard, or confront a person who intimidates you. Record what happens in your holocron.
Once you have completed this level your title will be changed to “Initiate Level Two.”